Webinar | The Pandemic Protection Gap – A Look Back & Ahead on the Future of Business Interruption Insurance
Join this discussion, our panelists will examine the European and US jurisprudence as regards insurance coverage of the loss of profits claims grounded on the confinement and other restrictions across the pandemic. Jurisprudence pro and against the insurers, lecturer’s debate, key points on the discussion will be carefully analyzed and used to forecast what can be expected in Europe by comparison to the US.
Introduction/setting the stage:
● Loss of Profit in P&C insurance before the pandemic
● Specialized insurance and commercial property insurance policies
● Key issues from the “old” times
First reactions/first claims after the Great Lockdown
● How the governments/administrations have dealt with these claims at the beginning?
● How the public insurers (if any) reacted?
● First legal actions
● What were the market reactions?
● Market developments in the early stage
● Effects of political turmoil
How Loss of Profit is commonly regulated in insurance contracts
(Country-by-country cases – Spain, France, Ireland, UK, U.S.)
● The “I cover what I cover” versus the “you cover what you don’t exclude” dangerous debate
● What the loss of profit really covers in the vast majority of cases
● The difference between retail & great risks, multi-risks & loss of profit autonomous covers
● Unfair limitations on the coverage vs. legal delimitations of the coverage
Coverage Takeaways & “What’s Next?
● Pandemic Risk Insurance Act US // EU Level/Member state level
● Pandemic-specific exclusions what does the future hold
● Climate Change Insurance
● Joaquín Ruiz-Echauri, Partner, PÉREZ-LLORCA
● Sean McCormick, Partner, THOMPSON HINE
● Cathrine Derrig, Partner, MCCANN FITZGERALD
● John Lavelle, Director, BPL GLOBAL
● Yvonne Bendinger-Rothschild, Executive Director, EACCNY [Moderator]
10:00 – 11:00 AM EDT | 16:00h – 17:00h CET
EACCNY Members: Free
EACCNY non-Members: Free